Do you want to work with one of the world’s most trusted and influential conservation organizations, harnessing the power of the marketplace to protect forests?
Do you want to grow regional markets for products from responsibly managed forests, working with partners in business, environmental groups, governments and communities?
Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is seeking an accomplished professional to lead its Asia Pacific team across all functions, including business and market development, policy and standards development, certificate and license-holder support, advocacy, and stakeholder relations.
In 1994, an international group of leaders in business, human rights, and the environment came together with a vision to harness the power of the marketplace to encourage the responsible stewardship of forests. Together they formed the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), setting standards for responsible forest management and developing a certification system so that businesses and consumers could directly contribute to the health of forests and forest communities through their purchasing choices.
For 25 years, through its uniquely trusted forest management and chain-of-custody (CoC) certification standards, FSC has been advancing the cause of responsible forest management around the world and across industries. Today, 200 million hectares of forests in 80 countries are certified to FSC forest management standards and more than 38,000 companies are certified to trade in FSC-certified products. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.ic.fsc.org.
From leading the design of policies and standards to developing markets and promoting the brand, FSC is committed to finding most skilled and dedicated people to work with us around the world in our ongoing mission to protect forests for all, forever.
The FSC Regional Director for Asia Pacific oversees FSC’s operations across the region, including direct and indirect supervision of all business affairs and staff in Regional and Country offices. He/she reports directly to the FSC Global Network Director. A key area of responsibility for this position is to coordinate and support the efforts of the regional FSC Network to develop awareness and effectiveness of FSC certification in the Asia Pacific region.
The Regional Director Asia Pacific will work in close collaboration with relevant senior management of the FSC group, other Regional Directors and with the directors of the FSC Network Partners in the region. The Regional Director Asia Pacific is part of FSC’s Executive and sits on the Global Leadership Team.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities:
• Lead and coordinate:
– FSC’s official representation in Asia Pacific
– Development and implementation of the FSC Asia Pacific Regional Strategy
• Support the development and delivery of services by the FSC Network in the region.
• Manage all matters related to FSC’s regional presence and projects and provide oversight of regional budget and planning processes.
• Ensure that targets set for FSC Network Partners and Offices across the region are achieved and assess their contribution to the Asia Pacific and Global strategies.
• Create consistently high quality of service among regional staff and FSC Network Partners and Offices in Asia Pacific.
• Drive implementation of national and regional strategies to deliver on FSC’s mission through active knowledge exchange and support to regional staff and Network Partners.
• Support mediation and complaints resolution through effective involvement of Network Partners in collaboration with regional staff.
• Engage government representatives, private sector and non-governmental organizations on forest and forest trade-related matters.
• Identify opportunities for funding and donations for FSC’s work and support the development of related funding proposals by FSC International and the FSC Network.
• Promote FSC’s engagement with the private sector in the Asia Pacific Region.
Qualification, Experience and Skills:
• University degree in a relevant field.
• At least 10 years of professional experience working in Asia Pacific with at least 5 years of professional experience in business and market development.
• Substantial project and program management experience as well as proven leadership skills.
• Fluency in English (spoken and written).
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to resolve disputes, facilitate interactive discussions as well as establish and maintain positive interpersonal relations.
• Experience in working in a multicultural, multilingual, global team in, or with, an NGO or Non-Profit Organization.
• Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity to the diversity of values, views and approaches to issues relevant to the FSC program by stakeholders around the world.
• Ability to represent FSC through his/her work with exemplary personal and professional authority and conduct.
• Commitment to FSC’s mission and values.
Terms and Conditions:
• Location: Major hub in a South East Asia region
• Type and duration of contractual arrangement: Service Agreement – 2 year (extension possible)
• Working Hours: Full time – 40 hours per week
• Starting Date: October 2019 or as soon as possible
• Travel: Regular travel within the Asia Pacific region and occasionally to
How to Apply:
Please send your:
• motivation letter (including your gross compensation)
• your CV in English as email attachments to email@example.com
Please do not send any photos of yourself, including as a picture on your CV and make sure to insert “Regional Director APAC – Your Name” in the subject line of your e-mail.
The deadline for applications is 15 July 2019.
We will confirm receipt of your application. However, only candidates shortlisted for an interview will be further contacted and will receive notice of the outcome of the selection process. Should you not receive a confirmation of receipt please check your spam filter and if you cannot find it there contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please be informed, that by applying for this position you automatically accept our Data Protection Information on processing your personal data.
We are looking forward to receiving your application!
The above information is first published in the FSC International website.