Level: Senior Advisor
Location: New Delhi, India
FSC works to take care of our forests and those who rely on them: by protecting plant and animal species, Indigenous Peoples’ rights, forest workers’ safety, and much more. We achieve this through FSC certification, ensuring forests around the world are responsibly managed. For more information on FSC, visit our website at http://www.fsc.org.
To effectively meet the challenge of protecting the world’s forests, we are committed to ensuring we have the world’s most skilled people working with us. This commitment extends to everyone that works in FSC around the world: from those that lead the design of policies and standards, to those that roll out those same policies and standards on the ground, and to those that provide us with backbone to do our work.
The role of the FSC India Senior Advisor on Government Engagement is to support and drive FSC’s presence, acceptance and reputation in India’s forestry sector. The Senior Advisor will collaborate with the FSC India Country Manager and the FSC Asia Pacific Regional Director to achieve the objective and deliver results.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
Senior Advisor will work on three complimentary sets of activities:
- The development and promotion of standards:
- Coordinate and complete the development of the FSC India National Forest Stewardship Standard (NFSS) with the support from the FSC Asia Pacific Policy Manager.
- Design and implement the NFSS rollout plan and provide support to certification bodies and forest managers regarding its implementation.
- Lead the promotion, dissemination and communication of the NFSS and FSC certification among government departments, NGOs, academia, and stakeholders.
- Support the development, completion, and incorporation of the FSC Regional Forest Stewardship Standard (RFSS) for Smallholders into India’s options for certification.
- Work with the regional and the international teams to plan and implement the rollout of the RFSS.
- Lead localisation (translation) efforts of the approved India NFSS and RFSS documents into major Indian languages.
- Engagement and Policy:
- Formulate a government engagement strategy; and design and execute an implementation plan for the strategy.
- Positively position and advocate for FSC’s interests in India, especially with public institutions. Drive engagement initiatives that will lead to the successful implementation of FSC’s strategy in India.
- Provide policy updates, reviews, analyses and advice to the FSC India Country Manager, the FSC Asia Pacific Regional Director and the leadership team at FSC International.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key central and state government officials to create a strong and enduring platform for continuous dialogue.
- Enhance stakeholder and member relationships to increase the adoption of FSC standards in India, particularly Forest Management Standards.
- Represent FSC in stakeholder engagement meetings, consultations, conferences, and seminars on forestry, environmental and sustainability issues.
- Collaborate and align with fellow government-facing colleagues in FSC APAC to provide analysis, advice and support to the FSC regional network on issues pertaining to pan-Asia Pacific government policies.
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- A university degree in forest management, natural resource management and/or related field.
- Must be a seasoned professional with at least ten years of experience in a leadership role in government relations, advocacy, public relations, or consulting with industry bodies and NGOs.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of the structure, culture and decision-making mechanisms of public institutions in India.
- A proven track record of conducting complex multi-stakeholder political advocacy interactions.
- Outstanding communication, facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Ability to function in a dynamic environment, shift focus quickly and synthesise and harmonise a diverse range of organisational, managerial and technical demands.
- Ability to thrive in a broadly multi-cultural, inter-disciplinary, multi-lingual team.
- Possess project development and management experience.
- Exposure to forestry and/or natural resource management is required.
Terms and Conditions
- Location: New Delhi, India.
- Working Hours: Full time.
- Duration of contract: 2 years with possibility of renewal.
- Starting Date: as soon as possible.